|With Sophie Gustafson, a four-time winner of the Irish Open, returning to Killeen Castle, where she won the 2010 title and The Solheim Cup this week, what better time to highlight the achievements of one of Europe´s greatest stars.
With Sophie Gustafson, a four-time winner of the Irish Open, returning to Killeen Castle, where she won the 2010 title and The Solheim Cup this week, what better time to highlight the achievements of one of Europe's greatest stars.
Sophie has a special affinity with Ireland having won the Ladies Irish Open in 1998 at Ballyliffin, 2000 at Faithlegg, 2003 at Killarney and 2010 at Killeen Castle.
She has won seven times on Irish soil if you also factor in the 2003 BT Open in Northern Ireland, the TSN World Cup partnering Carin Koch in 2000 and of course, Europe’s Solheim Cup victory at Killeen Castle in Ireland in September 2011.
Sophie earned four points out of a possible four at The 2011 Solheim Cup to be the team’s leading points’ scorer, taking her all-time Cup record to 13-12-6, with 16 points scored.
With special thanks to LPGA.com, here we bring you a quick 18 with Sophie, a photo gallery of her sporty childhood and a recent video.
In 2011, Sophie gave her first sit-down video interview for The Golf Channel during The Solheim Cup despite a stuttering problem and in January 2012, she was named the recipient of the Golf Writers’ Association of America (GWAA) Ben Hogan Award for remaining active in golf despite a physical handicap or serious illness.
Sophie is a 26-time tournament winner with 16 wins on the LET and is an eight-time European Solheim Cup Team member, as well as a three-time winner of the LET order of merit. To find out more about Sophie visit her blog: www.sophiegustafson.com or follow her on Twitter: @SophieGustafson.
Quick 18 with Sophie Gustafson
|Sophie and trophy at the 2010 Irish Open
1. Tell me something most people don't know about you?
I figure skated until I was 13.
2. What would you like to do for a living if you are not a pro golfer?
3. If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?
Obama, just to see what's going on.
4. Is there anything you're addicted to? Or can't live without?
My Apple products: iPhone, iPad, MacBook.
6. Is there anything you won't eat?
Liver or any intestines.
7. Is there a song you like to sing when no one is around like in the car or the shower?
9. What is your favorite activity you do when you want to relax?
Watch TV or hang with friends.
10. What is your favorite time of year?
Spring in Sweden.
11. Favorite quote or saying?
Life is hard but it's really hard when you're stupid.
12. What beauty product can you not live without?
13. What is your favorite store to shop in and why?
Apple. I love their products.
14. Do you have a favorite TV commercial?
15. What is one item of clothing you couldn't live without?
T-shirts and jeans.
16. Name one thing you always keep stocked in your refrigerator?
Caviar and Heineken.
17. Favorite way to stay in shape?
Working out with my trainer Andrea.
18. What chore are you great at or enjoy doing the most?
18. Who is your favorite celebrity that you've met? Who have you not met that you want to meet?
Seve Ballesteros / Bruce Springsteen.
18. If you could posses any super human power what would it be?
Be able to transport in the blink of an eye.
To see the photo gallery of Sophie as a child, click here
Sophie Gustafson speaks out at Solheim:
Sophie did her first ever TV interview at The Solheim Cup. To see Sophie’s acceptance speech for the 2011 Golf Writers’ Association of America (GWAA) Ben Hogan Award, click here