|The month of April is dedicated to women´s sports, so we asked our players about their favourite sports and other female athletes. Here we hear from Ariya Jutanugarn, from Thailand.|
Ariya in action during the Lalla Meryem Cup in Morocco
Ariya Jutanugarn, 17, from Thailand, shot to the top of the LET's 2013 ISPS Handa Order of Merit after securing her maiden victory at the the recent Lalla Meryem Cup in Morocco last month and also leads the Rolex Rookie of The Year Rankings. Ariya turned professional in January 2013 after a spectacular amateur career, during which she won the LET's Lalla Aicha Tour School in December, also played in Morocco. Find more information about Ariya here.
Here we test her knowledge of other sports and female athletes:
- Do or did you practice any other sports apart from golf? Which ones? Tennis and Swimming.
- What is/was your level at that Sport? Good!
- What could you tell us about following sports? No idea, only about tennis.
- Compare golf with other sports you like. Which one do you think is the toughest? Golf.
- Who is your favourite sportwoman outside golf? Why? Venus and Serena Williams, because they are sisters, same as me and Moriya.
- Tell us names that you know of top sportswomen? What do they have achieved? Venus: all grand slam trophies.
- Have you met any of them? I have never met any of them and I would like to meet Venus some time.
- Is there any Sport that you would like to practice professionally if you weren’t dedicated to golf? Tennis.
- What is your opinion about women’s sport? It has improved a lot from the past.
- Which sport do you think is more popular? Tennis.
- And less popular that would deserve more recognition? Field hockey.
- Do you think women’s sport is popular enough? Yes, but only in some sports.
- Do you think there is same information as there is on men’s sport? No.