|Italian Giulia Sergas is a possible candidate for Solheim Cup qualification currently ranked fifth on the European points list. Here she reveals her love of health and fitness.
Italian Giulia Sergas is a possible candidate for Solheim Cup qualification currently ranked fifth on the European points list. Here she reveals her love of health and fitness.
- Describe how your exercise program benefits you and your golf game. Exercise helps me to keep high energy level during a golf tournament and helps my ability to recover from long flights and difficult travelling.
- Describe when and why you started exercising for golf. I have always been very active, but I have started to be serious about my fitness four years ago.
- Describe how your pre-season exercise program is different to your in-season exercise program. For example, do you focus on different aspects of fitness? Are your goals different? My pre-season program is very different because I work playing and doing other sports instead of just going to the gym.
- With respect to your pre-season program, please describe your exercise program (where possible, include the type of exercises you do, the frequency, dosage, duration of each exercise session etc). I ski, telemark skiing, snowboard, run, slackline, hike, yoga and I do specific weights for specific body parts, I do all this in a high altitude enviroment (great for heart rate and oxygen).
- With respect to your in-season program, please describe your exercise program (where possible, include the type of exercises you do, the frequency, dosage, duration of each exercise session etc). I run no more than 30-40 minutes and I do weights just Monday or Sunday afternoon, anything else will be free weights and stretching.
- Describe your warm-up program (include the type of exercises you do and how long your warm-up routine takes to perform). Depends how I feel that morning, I can run for 25 to 30 minutes and stretch or just bike for 10 minutes and stretch.
- If you haven’t already included this information, describe whether you use specific exercise tools or equipment when exercising (e.g. fit balls, weights, resistance bands etc). I use fit ball, bands, slackline and TRX.
- What is the most enjoyable thing about your exercise program? Running and slackline.
- What is the least enjoyable thing about your exercise program? Treadmill running.
- How do you manage to maintain a fitness program when you are touring? I know now that I just need a pair of running shoes, anything else is an excuse not to exercise, so I make myself go all the time.
- Which components of fitness (e.g. muscle strength, balance, muscle endurance, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, power) do you think are most important for playing golf? Being able to adapt, so playing other sports all the time.
- Describe how important maintaining a healthy, balanced diet is for you and your golf game. A healthy diet is good for you as a human being, that should be enough motivation to have an healthy meal.
- How do you manage to maintain a healthy diet when you are touring? I know what is good for me by reading and getting educated.
- What tips would you give golfers who really dislike exercising or to those golfers who say that exercise is only for elite golfers? They haven’t yet found the exercise which is good for them and they must keep searching, and especially do not stop doing something because you are scared you might get injured, do it anyway and have fun with it because anything that makes you happy will also improve your golf performance.