During April we will be interviewing the LET players about the other sports they enjoy and participate in. Here is an interview with the LET's 2012 ISPS Handa Order of Merit winner and Rolex Rookie of the Year, Carlota Ciganda, from Spain.
Do or did you practice any other sport apart from golf?
Yes, I played soccer and tennis too but I decided for golf because it was hard to play all! I really like Paddel now and when I have time I always try to play!
What is/was your level at that Sport? I have a level where I can have fun and enjoy playing with my friends.
What could you tell us about following Sports?
- Soccer: most popular sport in Spain! Fun to watch
- Ahtletics: I Love watching on TV: a very hard sport.
- Tennis: all I can say is RAFA NADAL :-) He is the best! Favourite sport after golf, I love playing AND watching! Similar life to golfers, lots of travelling, hotels..
- Beach Volley: Great sport to watch on live, I remenber watching the spanish Team in the Mediterránean Games... In the Beach, Music... a lot of fun!
- Horse riding: not much
- Surf: would love to learn.
- Basketball: not my favorite sport, but since college I don't mind watching it! I like to follow the spanish players in the NBA.
- Ski: love it! Try to go every year... I skied since I was 5
- Sailing: not much
- Field hockey: not very popular in Spain
- Gymnastics: hard sport, lots of work and maybe no recompense.
- Swimming: Love watching: especially the Olympics!
Compare golf with other Sport you like. Which one do you think is the toughest? Tennis! Because its similar to golf in the sense you have lots of travelling, individual sport, lots of hotels.... AND if you lose you are out! You need to be very strong mentally!
Who is your favourite Sportwoman outside golf? Why? Not sure but I remenber Martina Hingis in the good years of tennis.
Tell us names that you know of top Sportswomen? Arancha Sánchez , Conchita Martínez . I haven't meet any of them.
Is there any sport that you would like to practice professionally if you weren’t dedicated to golf? Which one? I really like tennis and paddel.
Do you think women's sport deserves more recognition?
I don't think it has the recognition it should have! Tennis is probably the most popular and sailing less, not sure! It really helps to have the TV and playing at the same time as the men , like tennis!!
I dont think it is popular enough and there's always more info about the men compared to the women!! I think TV is the key to raising money and so more people become interested in women sports!